Sunday, January 25, 2009

Baby Names books

Today while we had 2 hours to kill while waiting for our big dog to have her bath at Petsmart we went into Barnes & Nobile. I went to the pregnancy section, of course, and was looking through baby names books. We have a few names for boys & girls because I have an application on my iPhone called "iPregnancy" & it has a thousand boy & a thousand girl names.
See screenshot...


















It's awesome to have on my cell phone so when I'm bored I can add it to my list















But it doesn't have the nationality or meaning of the name....that's kinda important to me. So while in Barnes & Nobile I compared books with each other. I looked at some of the names we were thinking of with one name in particular "Kayla". In one book it said it was an Arabic, Hebrew name & in the other it said English & Irish.



The 2 books I was looking in were Bruce Lansky "60,000+ Baby Names"(bottom with black writing) and the other was June Rifkin "The Everything Baby Names Book" (top with pink writing).



I find it kinda strange that baby names books have it different in each one. I understand that different countries may use the name but then mention them next to the name saying it's popular with A B & C. Now when I searched the Internet I found on Wikipedia that the name is Greek. This is kinda annoying. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a names book...maybe there is no one meaning for a name...maybe these books are for just pure fun, who knows. It makes me wonder where the writers are getting their information from.

Are there any good baby name books out there where the meaning of the name is correct? If so I'd love to know which one.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've picked Nolan Daniel for our top name now ;) it was going to be Jacob, but we had a dog named Jacob and I realized that it was a bad idea to name our kid that, as one night when I was talking to my belly I said "Hello Jacob, what cha doing puppy" - and ya, he's not a puppy.

And I love the name Nolan like a thousand times more...every baby name book I've checked says its Irish Gaelic and that it means famous and noble :)