Friday, January 30, 2009

Stressed out!

I work an a Licensed Practical Nurse in a nursing home. In July 2007 I left my job of 5 years to work at this new place where I can work three 12 hour shifts a week. I love having off 4 days a week & was perfectly happy. Yesterday the human resources called me to their office & said that me & another girl that hasn't been working there are long as me have to give up our 12 hour shifts because it is causing them problems with scheduling & things have to be cut back (with the economy being so bad). They said the only hours available are 3p-11p or 11p-7am. I have been working in nursing homes for 12 years & until I started the 12 hour shifts I worked 7am-3pm and they said that shift was not available. I physically can't work the other shifts, my body is up early in the morning & I get tired by 9pm...I'm more of a morning person. This got me soooo upset I couldn't stop crying! I'm not a crier & since being pregnant I had 3 crys for silly things & this was one of them. This couldn't be happening!! I've been saving my sick, vacation & all other time so when I go on maternity leave in 5ish - 6ish months I'll have some pay checks coming in for a couple weeks. If I wasn't pregnant I would just get a job elsewhere but no one is gonna hire someone that's gotta leave in a few months AND my insurance is really good so I need it for my prenatal care. This just can't be happening to me! I went with the Director or Nursing to human resources to talk about it. They said they would look to see if someone was hired after me that's working 7am-3pm and tell them they have to take the other shift but after asking around no one seems to know of anyone....I really don't think there is anyone.
I'm just so upset about this & it couldn't be happening at the worst time!

UPDATE 2/3/09: I was told they were not going to touch my hours. What a HUGE relief! That was really bothering me for days. If things will have to change, I really hope they keep things the same until after I go on maternity leave.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling :( when I found out I was pregnant, I was getting ready to drop out of my college program (Dental Reception was DEFINITELY not my thing) and didn't have a job. Finding a job even if you're not pregnant in todays ecnomony is VERY hard, and I didn't have any luck at all job hunting. Then I started to show...and nobody would hire me because it was pretty obvious I'd be leaving.

I put an ad out on a local ad website for nannying and babysitting, so now I do that during the days to save up a bit of money. It's not much, but it's all I can do at the moment. I totally hear you on the exhaustion :(

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. Things are miserable at my job right now too and being 5 months pregnant doesn't give me an option of finding a new one.

Once again, sorry you are going through this!