Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Is Diet Soda ok during pregnancy?

I LOVE soda. My favorite soda is Pepsi & I used to drink about a 2 liter bottle a day. Then in May 2008 when I started dieting to lose weight for my wedding in October 2008 I drank nothing but Diet Pepsi. I don't like coffee so that was caffeine fix. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I stopped drinking Pepsi right away. I know we are allowed to have about 200mg of caffeine a day but I'd prefer trying to avoid it all together. I started drinking caffeine-free Diet Pepsi but then I started seeing that some artificial sweeteners are bad for the unborn baby. Since reading that I started drinking other caffeine-free sodas especially Sunkist Orange Soda & Sprite but they are full of calories. I know having too much carbonated drinks is not good to always have....I do drink a lot of water a day & juice but I need to have soda too.
So what I'm wondering is...is it ok to drink Diet Sunkist Orange Soda, Diet Caffeine-free Pepsi or Diet Sprite when you're pregnant? I'd love to hear what you think, know or have read....

3 comments:

Erin said...

There's not really any solid research on whether or not aspartame is especially harmful in pregnancy, but I think all things in moderation are fine.

Mama Seoul said...

I try to cut out soda and artificial sweeteners for the most part. Try Perrier and fruit juice or naturally flavored sparkling water to give yourself a little fizz without the caffeine, corn syrup or artificial sweetener.

Also, you can set it up in your preferences to be notified when you get comments.

Staci said...

i drank a ton of diet soda when I was preggo with my 2... Aspartame is what people worry about, but in all the research I did it was not really conclusive as to wherther or not it was harmful.... I think caffeene is a big thing though. I would try to go the caffeine free route...