Friday, March 20, 2009

Baby Names

WOW! I can't believe how difficult it is to pick a name for the baby! When you hear a name it makes you think of someone you grew up with, someone ugly or someone mean so you don't want to name your baby that. This is a VERY difficult thing to do....this is one thing this girl will have for the rest of her life! She will be 90 years old & will still have this name! One thing we are lucky for is that any name will pretty much go with our last name.
My husband likes a certain name & so do I but, his sister just had a baby in November '08 & the only difference is the 1st letter--like "Kacey" & "Lacey" (sorry not a great example but you get the idea). I don't want 2 cousins that aren't even gonna be a year apart with names that sound almost the same.
Then we both like the names Emma & Ashley. Both of these names are on the top 10 most popular names. Me growing up with a *very* popular name there was always another girl in my class with my name, kinda annoying. I just know there would be another Emma in her class.
Now thinking I'd really like to have an Irish first name since our last name is really Italian (I'm Irish & he's half Irish & Italian--we are both American tho). We both like the name Fionna. It's a very pretty name & not popular. I don't want a "unique" name I just don't want a very popular name...it can be #200 on the list of names instead of #3 like Emma is. Today I found a really cool website BabyNamesOfIreland.com. The list of names for girls & boys has audio so you can hear how it's pronounced. I TOTALLY fell in love with a name--Ryanne (pronounced Rye-ann) I text messaged my husband to tell him & he's not really sure, he said he has to think about it. His friend's son's name is Ryan so he's kinda iffy about it. I told him if he says yes then that will be the name, I will not change it. I'm crossing my fingers!!

2 comments:

Crysi said...

We were planning on naming the girls Mira and Delilah, but I'm just not feeling Delilah anymore. So now we're back to the drawing board. I want two names that sound good together, but don't rhythm or start with the same letter, kinda like your cousin problem. Thanks for that website though. I'll definitely be checking it out. I like the name Ryanne, by the way. Definitely unique. I've only ever met 1 and she was a TA for one of my college classes.

Anonymous said...

I think Ryanne is very pretty! We had the same problem with picking out names--we wanted something that would be different, but not so different nobody would know how to pronounce or spell it! Plus, I like foreign names, so we had to find names that were slightly foreign but not completely "out there." We ended up going with Daria (Russian) for our first daughter, and Carys (Welsh) for our second. Both unusual, but not too weird!