Monday, March 23, 2009

We have a name!!

I'm so happy to say that we FINALLY have a name for the baby! After weeks of looking for girls names on the credits from TV shows, reading baby names books, looking at my baby names iPhone applications, listening to the names of the TV characters (especially on soaps) we have finally decided on a name!! There is a TV show on USA called Burn Notice that we both like a lot & we like the female character's name a lot.
Our last name is very Italian & I want to have an Irishy first name. We are both born in America--I'm Irish & he's half Irish & half Italian. I had also mentioned in a different blog post that we (I) don't want a popular name. Me growing up with a very popular name there was always another girl in my class with the same name. I also don't want a unique name or a name that always gets pronounced wrong. My husband thinks I'm putting to many requirements on picking a name...I'm sorry if I don't want the name to be the same as my cousins, or sound exactly the same as our niece that will be around 8 months old when our baby is born--of course if we had really love the name & had said for years that when I have a baby I wanna name it this, then I would think about it but that's not the case at all. I'm also doing all the thinking! Grrrr!!
Well all this has finally come to an end! I will no longer be driving myself crazy thinking of a name. Now this name isn't written in stone, I'm not gonna start embroidering her onesies with the new name but I am no longer thinking for a name. If someone asks us what her name I'm gonna tell them....

"Fiona Ashley"

All different sites & books kinda have different origin/meaning but most of them have basically the same thing....
Fiona--the name origin is Irish/Celtic (I actually seen a website say Scottish). The meaning is: fair, pale, pretty/beautiful. It's not a popular name here in the United States but it is kinda popular in Ireland so that's cool.
Ashely--the origin is English. The meaning is: from the Ash Tree field. Not really sure what that means but the name sounds really pretty together. We were thinking of Ashley as a 1st name but it's of course a pretty popular name at #13 on the SSA for 2007 (the list for 2008 wasn't available yet).

I am just so happy to finally have a name! Her nickname will be Fi (Fee)....sooo cute!


6 comments:

Crysi said...

Yay! Congrats! We're still arguing about baby B's name.

Unknown said...

Love the name! My Daughters name is Caitlyn and this baby will be Conor.

Anonymous said...

JD,
Lovely name! I checked our name DB for our iPhone app (premiering shortly) and found this def for Ashley:
Originally a surname, Ashley is derived from the Old English elements æsc (ash trees) and lēah (wood, clearing, meadow), a name indicative of one who was a "dweller near the ash tree forest." As a given name, Ashley is now more commonly bestowed upon females than males.
Our DB author is a real scholar of names so I thought you'd be interested in it's derivation.
Best,
Brian
Nameshake.info

The_EmilyB said...

Congrats on choosing a name! Fiona is much more popular in Scotland than Ireland but it comes from the gaelic word Fionn. Here's some more infor:
Many consider this name "quintessentially Irish." However, it was actually the invention of the 18th-century Scottish author, James MacPherson. He coined this name as a feminine form of the legendary name Fionn. To do this, he stuck the common Latinate ending -a onto the name Fionn, and dropped one "n". In Gaelic, unlike Latin (and other European languages), names do not become feminine simply by adding "a." In fact, there were already in existence a few feminine forms of Fionn: Fionnseach, Fionnait and Fionnacht. Coincidentally, the word fiona, pronounced FEE uh na, is the modern Scottish Gaelic word for "wine" (coming from the Latin vineus, meaning "vine") Fiona became popular in Scotland and England in the late 19th century as a result of the author William Sharpe using the pen name Fiona MacLeod.

Erin said...

I love the name! Fiona is SO pretty.
The dress you commented on in my blog is from Motherhood Maternity. I borrowed it from a friend, so it's probably not in stores any more, but they usually have some cute lightweight dresses. I'm all about dresses while pregnant!

B and Fs first baby said...

I know I'm late, but WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME!!! That is really such a pretty name and perfect for your baby girl! :)