Friday, March 27, 2009

Hip Pain

I have been sleeping absolutely terrible at night, especially the last few weeks. There are 2 major problems, my hips are in severe pain & I have to pee. I'm not quite sure which one is actually waking me, but when I wake up all I know is I'm hurting & I also have to go to the bathroom.
Before getting pregnant I was always one to sleep on my side, especially on my left which is a major plus for preggers because doctors say it improves circulation. My 2nd sleeping position is on my back & occasionally on my right side. Sleeping on your back after the 1st trimester is a major no no when pregnant because the baby's weight can press on your major vein & can diminish blood flow to your brain and uterus, and can make you dizzy, short of breath, or nauseated. So at night I try & stay on my sides, especially my left side. When I wake up both my hips are in so much pain, especially the side I was sleeping on....so I get up, walk to the bathroom which will stretch things out a bit, pee then go back to bed & lay on the opposite side. I do this about 6 times a night. I googled about this & it was recommended putting a pillow between your knees which I started doing. The pillow I was using was very thin & didn't seem to be helping much. My bed is also a firm bed so I'm sure that's adding to the pain too.
I can't take much more of this so I went online last night before bed & bought the All Nighter Total Body Pregnancy Pillow by Leachco from Walmart, especially since I still had $45 left from a $100 Walmart gift card I got for Xmas. I couldn't decide between the one I got & the Snoogle, they both had great reviews. I picked the one I bought because one of the positions the lady is in in the picture is on her back. I don't plan to lay directly on my back but kind of on a slant so this is the one I bought. I can't wait until it come & when it does I will definitely write a review.
Last night was the first night in a few weeks that I slept really good. Well, better than normal...I only woke up about 3 times instead of 6+ & I wasn't in terrible pain. I had also used a fluffier pillow between my legs & I had worked all day so when I got home I was super tired so that might have helped a bit. I'm sure the *real* reason I slept well was because after a huge chunk of sleep I woke up on my back which I am very unhappy about. I then went back to sleep on my side & used the bigger pillow that really seemed to help a lot. When I woke up this morning I felt the baby kicking so I'm guessing the laying on my back this time didn't do anything to my little one, thank god. Lets see if this will continue or if it was just a one time deal. I will continue to use the fluffier & see....I just can't wait to get my pregnancy pillow!

UPDATE: using a thicker pillow between my legs made a big difference....I really didn't have pain in my hips since using a thicker pillow...yay!

6 comments:

Crysi said...

Your body will wake you up if you're on your back because of the decreased blood flow. Keeps happening to me and I'm not even a back sleeper! I spend most of the night on my left side, but it makes my right sided sciatica worse so last night I was on my right. Adia was NOT happy! If I sleep on my left, I can snuggle her.

kellytirman said...

Last night I felt these insane pains and totally freaked out - however today I found out they were "round ligament pain" and that it is normal.

Rae said...

I know how you feel. I'm not as far along as you are, but I already get hip pains some nights. Awful.

Jamie said...

I have been having the same hip pain and I'm not as far along as you. I am used to sleeping on my back so it's really hard for me to try and stay on my side. I bought a body pillow, which does help a little, but I found what helps the most is spooning with my man behind me. The body pillow gives me support in the front / between my knees, and he gives me support for my back (and also makes sure I don't roll onto my back). I have found this to be the best solution for my sleeping problems because I can lean back on him so I'm on a backwards angle rather then forward angle. Unfortunately, he works overnights sometimes and I sleep horrible when he's gone, but I'm thankful for the nights I have him there!

Jess said...

I had the same horrible hip pain and I too tried a pillow that was a bit flat. I fond a thicker one and have found it has helped tremendously! I have also woken up on my back freaked out but my doctor told me that if being on my back was a bad thing to myself or my baby my body would let me know. Phew!

SW said...

Omg, I remember the random joint pains that would crop up.... I think BabyCenter said its because your ligaments are loosening in preparation for labor.

Man, sleeping on my side ONLY was a real struggle for me.... because ive always been a back sleeper! I was so worried about hurting the baby, but just couldnt get comfortable on that darn left side. But heck, by the end, i was so huge that EVERY position was so uncomfortable, it didnt even matter! And i couldnt really turn over in bed that well without help from DH, so i just sucked it up. lol